Associate Director, Search & Evaluation
LOCATION: South San Francisco
DEPARTMENT: General & Administrative
REPORTS TO: VP, Business Development
Day One Biopharmaceuticals is an emerging, mission-driven, drug development company intentionally designed to identify, clinical evaluate, and successfully commercialize novel treatments for pediatric oncology patients, and ultimately to expand those benefits to patients of all ages.
The Associate Director, Search and Evaluation will identify, evaluate, and recommend targeted oncology assets to license or acquire in order to create value for patients, investigators, and investors. The successful candidate will have a strong scientific background in cancer biology, experience in oncology drug development, and a desire to learn the business principles and market dynamics that drive the Pharma and Biotech sectors. The position provides a unique opportunity for individuals to leverage their deep scientific training while gaining experience and mentorship in a key aspect of business development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify and evaluate potential licensing or acquisition opportunities for drug development programs
- Build solid working relationships with key opinion leaders in the pediatric oncology space
- Evaluate novel oncology targets based on the published literature and unpublished studies by our scientific advisors
- Conduct scientific, clinical and initial commercial diligence of potential opportunities for Day One’s pipeline
- Gather information relevant to an asset under consideration using various databases, the scientific literature, and interviews with scientific advisors to Day One, with key opinion leaders in the field, and with outside consultants
- Participate in weekly meetings to discuss and prioritize assets based on the merits of the scientific data and available clinical proof of concept
- Maintain internal documentation on potential portfolio assets and communicate across functional groups and leadership team
- Create, update and maintain proprietary databases related to deal flow, targets and clinical trials of interest
- Perform other tasks as necessary to support the Business Development team
- PhD or MD/PhD required, with experience in cancer biology highly desired
- Preference will be given to individuals with significant industry experience in target ID and/or target validation with a demonstrated desire to learn the business principles and market dynamics that drive the biopharmaceutical industry
- Alternatively, candidates with Ph.D-level research experience in cancer biology and 2+ years of experience in life sciences venture capital, management consulting, buy- or sell-side equity research, or investment banking
- Self-motivated and able to multi-task. Comfortable working across a number of cancer indications and able to shift gears quickly. Must be open to change and the unknown with a creative and resourceful nature
- Prior experience in candidate selection in discovery and due diligence/program evaluation for licensing or acquisition is a plus
- Keen scientific acumen, intellectual curiosity, and good judgement
- Results-oriented with high performance standards
- Strong interpersonal skills, a collaborative working style, and outstanding communication skills
Applicants should include their CV and answers to the following questions in their cover letter:
A) What are you passionate about?
B) What makes you a variant thinker?
C) Tell us about a time or two that you have been certain about something and were wrong
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.